St. Mary Parish History

June 19, 1853

Cornerstone for the original church placed by Rev. Peter Carbon

Dec. 1853/Jan. 1854

Acquisition of land completed for the original church

September 24, 1854

Original church dedication by (Bishop) St. John Neumann

June/September 1860

Acquisition of two parcels of land for the cemetery

1886

“Difficulties” (of an unknown nature) caused the closing of the church

April 1907

Fire ignited the old shingle roof and threatens the deteriorating church. Neighbors extinguished the blaze with garden hoses

October 1914

Msgr. George Bornemann (of St. Paul Parish, Reading) oversees repairs to the church

August 29, 1915

Original church rededication; Rev. Scott A. Fasig appointed first resident pastor

April 1923

Property at 508 Island Street purchased for a rectory

October 1954

The chapel at Roadside America in Shartlesville opened (open until 1976)

1955

A sacristy, stairway and second entrance were added to the church. Property at Fifth & State Streets purchased for parking

August 1958

Property at 426 State Street acquired as a potential future convent

September 1961: Capital campaign conducted for construction of a new parish hall

June 1962

Groundbreaking for the social hall (first construction project in 109 years!)

August 1963

New parish hall dedicated by Bishop Joseph McShea

1963

Parish given a 3-acre plot on State Street (present site of Weis King’s) for parking and possible site for a new church

1969

Properties on Island Ave. and two sites on State Street sold in order to purchase a 5-acre property at 766 State St. as a rectory and potential new church site

1999

Land on Walnut Rd in Tilden Township donated for the site of the new church

November 1999

Groundbreaking for the new church

December 8, 2000

New church dedication the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary

2002

Donation of an additional 5 acres of land for a new rectory site; Construction of a 3,000 square foot pavilion by volunteers of parishioners

October 2003

New rectory construction completed

December 8, 2003

150th Jubilee Year celebration with Bishop Welsh includes the blessing of new rectory

2003

Capital campaign for a new education center and social hall addition to the church

2004

150th Jubilee Year (September 25/26, 2004:  Jubilee weekend activities)

2005

Pavilion expanded to include a kitchen and restrooms. First annual Harvest Fest held

Spring 2007

Additional 13 acres of land donated

March 2007

Groundbreaking for a new education center and social hall

September 2007

After weeks of excavation, construction of the new facility began.

August 15, 2008

Blessing of the Religious Education Center

September 6, 2008

First religious education classes held in new facility and blessing of Ave Maria Social Hall

September 2008

Old church and social hall property on State Street was sold

October 2009

Bishop Barres blesses meditation gardens of Stations of the Cross, Rosary garden, and refurbished Sacred Heart Statue

July 2010

Pavilion was enlarged with a concrete pad addition.

Summer 2013

Original church on State Street razed by new owner on Feast of the Assumption of Mary

Contact Us

(610) 562-7657

[email protected]

94 Walnut Road
PO Box 189
Tilden Township
Hamburg, PA 19526